Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Connecting the Reading Imperative


Do you want you or your child to be a better reader?  The answer is simple: READ! 


I came across this visual last winter, and I think it is one of the most inspiring and shocking pieces of information a parent can see. I am certain there are several research studies on the importance of reading and how it relates to impacting a child's vocabulary.

In 1987, William Nagy, Patricia Herman, and Richard Anderson published the article, "Learning Words From Context" in Reading Research Quarterly.  Their research concluded that, along with some direct vocabulary instruction, students also must be able to be independent word learners by studying the context of words in text.  This happens with independent reading.  This visual puts it into perspective for me as a teacher and as a parent.  I hope this poster allows for some reflection and conversation about the importance of reading in your daily activities.  I will certainly think twice when my child asks me to skip our 20 minutes of reading!
**originally posted by Andrea on our Teacher Leadership Blog - http://bentoncommunitytlt.blogspot.com/

Here is a link to a printable version of this poster.
Original research - Learning Words From Context


This blog was originally posted by Andrea on our Teacher Leadership Blog:
www.bentoncommunitytlt.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment